Kochi: A massive fire broke out at a footwear showroom and godown located near the South railway station in Kerala's commercial hub Kochi Wednesday.
Officials said no casualty was reported but firefighters took several hours to bring the blaze, which broke out in the the fourth floor of the six-storeyed building, under control.
Around 50 fire engines rushed to the spot and people from nearby shops and residential buildings were evacuated, a fire department official told PTI.
Smoke from the rubber products has made dousing efforts difficult.
Videos showed smoke billowing out through the cracks of the makeshift walls of the building. As a precautionary measure the electricity supply to the area was cut.
As the fire continued to rage, the nearby buildings were evacuated. Metro work, which is happening quite close to the spot, was halted. Rail traffic was not been affected.
An eyewitness said a large plume of black smoke was seen spreading around the multi-storeyed structure before the fire broke out.
Short circuit is suspected to be the cause of the blaze but it cannot be confirmed at the moment, the official said.
"No casualty has been reported as the employees of the godown moved out of the building as soon as the fire broke out.
Now the blaze is under control...we are trying to douse it completely," the official said.