Many ignore the significance of dental care during the old age. However, doctors say that teeth require lifelong care. These are the common dental problems faced by old people.
1) Dental cavities that affects the roots
2) Gum diseases – The skeleton that supports the teeth withers, making the teeth loose. It also leads to gum abscess.
3) The gums may pull away from the tooth. This would lead to frequent replacement of dentures. It may cause serious problems for diabetic patients.
4) The dentures may cause lesions and inflammation, mostly in the uvula or palette.
5) Fungal infections in mouth.
6) Stained tooth.
7) Mouth getting dried.
8)Difference in taste.
Here are 10 tips for dental care in old age:
1) Brush twice a day using a medium or soft brush.
2) Use dental floss or inter dental brushes to remove plaque or food particles from between the teeth.
3) Those who suffer from gum diseases should use mouth washes with the instruction from the doctor.
4) It is better to consult a dentist at least once in six months. Make sure that you do dental checkups twice a year.
5) Inform the dentist about the medicines that you take for other diseases.
6) Lead a healthy life style by controlling blood pressure and diabetes.
7) Always keep the artificial dental set clean.
8) Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.
9) Inspect the insides of your own mouth by standing in front of a mirror. If you spot white or red patches, consult a dentist.
10) Avoid self treatment.