Be it expensive or cheap, a woman and her jewelry are an eternal love affair. That being said, most of us are more enthusiastic about the buying process than actually taking care of them.
Turns out there aren’t a lot of rules that you need to follow when it comes to keeping your trinkets sparkling. Just a bit of discipline and some basics, and voila, you are good to go. Consider this a trinket care guide you can swear by.
1. Keep them clean and dry. Whether it is a necklace, ring, bracelet or earring, exposing fashion jewelry to any type of cream, chemical product, lotion, perfume, oil or even water is an undeniable accelerator of tarnishing.
Metals like brass, copper or bronze will oxidize and see their color changing. Always remove your jewelry before applying cream, perfume or washing hands.
2. Do not forget to give your costume jewelry a little break from time to time. Fashion jewelry is usually not meant to be worn every day. Therefore, if you wear the same pieces of jewelry on a daily basis, you might see discoloration.
3. To make your costume jewelry look its best as long as possible, clean them after each use. If that sounds laborsome, at least wipe them down with a soft cloth to remove any product residues and sweat that accelerate oxidation. Avoid cleaners that contain acid, alcohol, vinegar or ammonia, since they can damage your darling trinkets.
4. Store your fashion jewelry carefully in cotton, butter paper, velvet cases or zip lock bags. Fashion necklaces must be hung on a stand.
5. Store individual items separately to avoid them getting tangled.