Nadal pulls out of Shanghai Masters

Setback
Two-time finalist Rafa Nadal's withdrawal denies fans the chance to witness the reunion of the Big Four of men's tennis at the October 6 to 13 tournament. Reuters
SHARE

Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the Shanghai Masters due to a wrist injury that cut short his participation in last month's Laver Cup, the world No. 2 said on Friday.

The 33-year-old, who claimed his 19th Grand Slam title at this year's US Open, said that he had not had enough time to practice sufficiently due to inflammation on his left wrist.

"I am very sad to announce that I won't be able to play in Shanghai this year. It is the second year in a row and in China I have great fans," Nadal said in a statement.

"But, as you all probably know, I had an inflammation on my left wrist during the Laver Cup and I haven't had the time to recover and practice to be ready... I hope to be back in Shanghai for the 2020 tournament."

Two-time finalist Nadal's withdrawal denies fans the chance to witness the reunion of the Big Four of men's tennis at the October 6 to 13 tournament, with Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray all scheduled to feature.

It also hands Djokovic the advantage in the battle to seal the year-end No. 1ranking.

MORE IN TENNIS
SHOW MORE
The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.