Rape case against Neymar dropped over lack of evidence

Rape case against Neymar dropped over lack of evidence
SHARE

Sao Paulo: Brazilian police said on Tuesday they had recommended no rape charges against the football star Neymar, after a woman he met online said he flew her to Paris and assaulted her in a hotel there.

Neymar had denied the accusations and released private chats and lurid photos they had exchanged. That led to a separate police inquiry into whether he had committed a crime by posting intimate pictures online.

Following the accusations, sponsor Nike said it was concerned about the accusations and Mastercard called off an advertising campaign featuring the player.

Police investigating the rape allegations on Tuesday said that they have closed the case.

The attorney general's office said the case was suspended due to a lack of evidence, but will be sent to prosecutors for a final decision, the BBC reported.

Brazil prosecutors now have 15 days to decide whether they will follow the police recommendations or file rape charges anyway, although they usually defer to police guidance.

An injury in the Copa America last month led Neymar to sit out the tournament, which Brazil won, and to miss pre-season training with his club Paris St Germain.

Neymar stoked speculation of a return to Spain's Barcelona this month after sharing a video of himself on social media wearing a shirt from his former club.

MORE IN WORLD
SHOW MORE
The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.