The launch of India's second Moon mission, Chandrayaan-2, is planned for the mid-April this year, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman K Sivan announced Friday.
ISRO had earlier said Chandrayaan-2 will be launched during January-February 16 this year. The mission, costing nearly Rs 800 crore, is an advanced version of the previous Chandrayaan-1 mission about 10 years ago.
The space agency had earlier planned to launch the spacecraft sometime between January and February but it could not materialise because certain tests could not be conducted.
Scientists have detected the second repeating fast radio burst (FRB) ever recorded, which may help better understand the source of these mysterious signals originating from far outside our Milky Way galaxy.
FRBs are believed to emanate from powerful astrophysical phenomena billions of light years away. However, the source of these signals are not well understood.
The discovery of the extragalactic signal is among the first, eagerly awaited results from the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME), a radio telescope inaugurated in 2017.
Ever since FRBs were first detected, scientists have been piecing together the signals' observed characteristics to come up with models that might explain the sources of the mysterious bursts and provide some idea of the environments in which they occur.
Highly venomous jellyfish have stung more than three thousand people on Australia's northeastern shores in just a few days, authorities said Monday, forcing the closure of several beaches. The massive influx of Portuguese man o' war jellyfish, whose stings are notoriously painful, has been described as an "invasion" by local media in the state of Queensland. Coastguard association Surf Life Saving said a "whopping" 3,595 people had suffered painful burns after encounters with the creatures, also known as bluebottles for their transparent bluish appearance. At least four major beaches remained closed as the organisation warned that even more jellyfish were on their way.
An Indian origin boy will get the opportunity to spin the coin in the fourth round of the Australian Open tennis tournament on January 21 this year.
Angad Prathap, an 11-year-old whose family hails from here but who was born, brought up and settled in Melbourne, is cutting short his annual holidays and is returning to Melbourne.
Angad is among the top tennis players in the age group of 10 years and has won many tournaments in Victoria state. He was recently selected in the top 10 promising players under the age of 10 in Victoria state.