- Vinay Kumar becomes Indian ambassador in Afghanistan.
- V M Devadas wins the first prize (Rs 1 lakh) in the Karoor Neelakanda Pillai Memorial Short Story writing contest held as part of the Krithi International Literary Festival.
- Kanam Rajendran re-elected CPI state secretary.
- 90th Oscar awards announced. 'The Shape of Water' wins the best film award, and its director Guillermo del Toro of Mexico chosen as the best director. Frances McDormand win the best actress award for her role in 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' while Gary Oldman becomes the best actor for his performance as Winston Churchill in 'Darkest Hour'.
- NPP leader Conrad Sangma sworn in as Meghalaya chief minister.
- Indian-origin Neil Basu becomes the head of the anti-terror wing of Scotland Yard
- Balkrishna V Doshi honoured with the prestigious Pritzker Prize, known as the Nobel prize for architecture. First Indian to win the award.
- Neiphiu Rio sworn in as the Nagaland chief minister for the fourth time. Y Patton becomes the deputy chief minister.
- Kerala State Film Awards announced. 'Ottamuri Velicham' chosen as the best film. The honour for the best director goes to Lijo Jose Pellissery; best actor Indrans; best actress Parvathy; and music director M K Arjunan.
- Minerva Punjab becomes FC I-League champions
- Keralites Dr M S Sunil, Dr P P Lisymol, Shyamala Kumari among the 30 women who received the National Nari Shakti Award; nine establishments also get award.
- Biplab Kumar Deb sworn in chief minister and Jishnu Deb Burman, deputy chief minister of Tripura.
- For the first time, India emerges topper in the World Shooting Championship by winning nine medals including four gold.
- State cultural awards (Rs 1 lakh each) awarded to three artistes. Kalamandalam K G Vasudevan Nair, Kathakali; Annamanada Parameshwara Marar wins the Pallavoor Appu Marar award; and Nirmala Paniker the honour for dance and drama.
- Mike Pompeo becomes US secretary of state and Gina Haspel, CIA director.
- Bidya Devi Bhandari named Nepal president once again.
- Angela Merkel takes charge as German Chancellor for the fourth time.
- V Thulasidas named managing director of Kannur International Airport.
- Xi Jinping re-elected Chinese President and Central Military Commission chief.
- Chennaiyin FC becomes ISL champions by beating Bengaluru FC 3-2 in the final.
- Ling Chiang re-elected as Chinese Prime Minister. Wang Qishan is vice-president.
- Vladimir Putin wins 76.67% votes to win the presidential elections for the fourth time in Russia.
- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets in the Tri-Nation Nidahas Twenty20 Cup final.
- Kollam is first district in the country to be declared a model in food safety.
- Jackfruit declared official fruit of Kerala.
- Deshabhimabi former general editor K Mohanan wins state government's Swadeshabhimani-Kesari media award (Rs 1 lakh).
- Voting held for 59 seats of Rajya Sabha. M P Veerendra Kumar from Kerala, V Muraleedharan from Maharashtra, and Rajiv Chandrasekhar from Karantaka elected to the Upper House.
- Dates for Karnataka assembly polls announced - voting on May 12 and results on 15.
- As per a Supreme Court order, Justice Jawad Rahim to become the acting chairman of the National Green Tribunal.
- Well-known scientist Krishnaswami Vijayaraghavan to be the central government's principal scientific adviser.
- Sreekumaran Thampi chosen for J C Daniel award (Rs 5 lakh) for his overall contirbution to Malayalam cinema.
- Win Myint elected as the new president of Myanmar.
- Australian cricketers Steve Smith and David Warner banned for a year for ball tampering. Cameron Bancroft gets nine months' ban.
Isro's GSAT-6A communication satellite successfully lifts off but loses contact two days later. Isro making efforts to establish link.