Malappuram: Kanakadurga and Bindu, who became the first young women to enter the Sabarimala temple after a historic Supreme Court verdict, claimed that three other females had also visited the hill shine. The duo also claimed they have visual evidence to substantiate their claim.
"Three women other than us had entered the shrine. We have video evidence to prove that," they said at at press meet held in Malappuram Sunday. "We entered the temple on our personal beliefs. We didn't do so because of any party's political pressure," they added.
The duo said that they would visit the temple again.
Early this month, the Kerala government had stated it holds evidence only on the entry of two women into the shrine, though it had told the Supreme Court in January that 51 women had in fact entered the temple after its landmark September verdict.
Kanakadurga and Bindu have been facing social boycott for entering the Sabarimala shrine on January 2. They had visited the temple, three months after the Supreme Court in a landmark judgment on September 28, 2018, allowed women of all age groups to enter the temple.
The women on Sunday said that they had the backing of those upholding renaissance values. Bindu's husband KV Hariharan and Supplyco employees union (CITU) state vice president Mujeeb Rahman joined the two women at the pres meet.
Kanakadurga, who faced stiff opposition from her husband's family for visiting Sabarimala, claimed that her brother Bharatbhushan was spreading fake news about her.
"Ever since, I began the trek to Sabairmala he has been mentally harassing me. He is acting as the stooge of Sangh Parivar outfits. The RSS urged my mother-in-law to attack me and threatened my husband, blocking my entry to the house," she added.
Soon after her entry to temple, Kanakadurga ended up in hospital after being allegedly attacked by her mother-in-law over the Sabarimala issue. However, a court in Malappuram last week ruled that she should be allowed to stay at her husband's home.
Read more: Latest Kerala news