Govt facilitated 2 women's Sabarimala entry to scuttle Sangh Parivar's 'victory celebration'

Govt facilitated 2 women's Sabarimala entry to scuttle Sangh Parivar's 'victory celebration'
Bindu and Kanakadurga during their attempt to enter Sabarimala in December. File photo
SHARE

Thiruvananthapuram: What prompted the government to pave way for the entry of women below the age of 50 to Sabarimala was the BJP’s plan to celebrate its 'victory day'.

It has emerged that the government issued directives to take the women to the sanctum sanctorum of the temple when it got wind of the Sangh Parivar plan to celebrate January 20 as victory day across Kerala.

Since the beginning of the mandalam season, Sangh Parivar workers were ready to stop the women. When the Manithi team arrived, even police had to backtrack in face of the protests staged by them.

The government also got an intelligence report that the Sangh Parivar was planning to declare that it was they who ensured that women were not allowed entry to the temple, thereby protecting the age-old traditions of Sabarimala. The report also said that the Sangh Parivar plan also included calling off the protest being held in front of the Secretariat on the 'victory day'.

The government, which was elated at the success of the 'Women's Wall', then decided to scuttle their plans. Kanakadurga and Bindu, who had already made a failed attempt, was under police protection, waiting for a second chance to climb the hill. With only top police officers and the chief minister's office kept in the loop, the 'operation' was successfully carried out on December 2.

Though the chief minister later said that the women were only given support by the police, it was clear it was a political decision and without instructions from the top the police won't attempt such an operation. With this, the earlier stand of only providing security to women underwent a sea change.

According to CPI(M) sources, it is unlikely that the government will take any more women to the temple. But the government hopes that since two women have already had their darshan, the protest will weaken. Since the BJP also moved their protest to the Secretariat, they too have signalled that they won't be active in staging protests at the sannidhanam.

MORE IN KERALA
SHOW MORE
The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.