Thiruvananthapuram

27°C

Mist

Enter word or phrase

Look for articles in

Last Updated Friday December 13 2019 01:01 PM IST
Other Stories in Bussiness Boom

Kerala: Diabetic capital of India

Kishore P
Special Correspondent @ Malayala Manorama
Text Size
Your form is submitted successfully.

Recipient's Mail:*

( For more than one recipient, type addresses seperated by comma )

Your Name:*

Your E-mail ID:*

Your Comment:

Enter the letters from image :

Diabetes

Among the Indian states, Kerala has the highest sale of drugs to treat mental illness in India. In the case of diabetes too, Kerala tops the states in sale of drugs and insulin. Diabetes walkers can be spotted on early mornings everywhere in Kerala. Some eat Ladoo and do a series of exercises to rejuvenate their pancreas cells. Figures of sugar levels and cholesterol levels can be heard as part of conversation wherever 40 plus Malayalis meet.

Diabetes has become big business in India. Very soon India could be the world capital of this health condition. China tops the list now with 10 million people afflicted with type-two diabetes while India has 7 million patients. In another 3 years India could reach 10 million diabetics. One more piece of statistics to compare with China as comparing with China is the trend today.

Today India sells close to 4,800 crore worth of diabetic drugs. The figure could reach a billion dollar ie., 6,000 crore by the end of this year. Insulin sale is close to 2,500 crore. Besides cholesterol and high blood pressure are by-products of diabetes and hence drugs to treat these health conditions are also on the rise.

Some people don't care about their blood sugar levels and eat to their heart's content. Such people pay a higher price later on. It could be neuropathy, nephropathy or retinopathy affecting your neuro-system, kidney or eye respectively.

Indian diabetic drug sales has a growth rate of 25 per cent while insulin sale has 15 per cent growth rate. Blood sugar detection equipments like glucometer also sells like hot cakes. Total sale of such equipment is close to Rs. 600 crores. In Kerala 22 per cent of the population above the age of 25 has been diagnosed with diabetes.

Total sale of diabetes drugs in India is to the tune of 4,800 crore. Kerala has a population of 3 per cent of India's but the sale of diabetic drugs is 7 per cent of the total sale in India. That comes to around 300 crore. Indian market of insulin is about 2,500 crore. Kerala consumes about 10 per cent of that insulin-250 crore. If you add another 50 crore towards the doctor's fee or hospital fee too, then easily the Diabetes market in Kerala is around 600 crore.

Most of the Indian Pharma majors and foreign Pharma companies are getting ready with new drugs to cater to the huge demand in the coming future. It's no wonder as the market is growing at 25 per cent per annum.

Let me stop here, as It's time to take medicines for me!!!

Last Post. Recently when an order for a Tea Party was given for 100 people, the catering man said 25 cups of Tea must be without sugar.

He should know as he is a professional caterer. It easily shows that, one in four in Kerala is diabetic.

Your Rating:
Your form is submitted successfully.

Recipient's Mail:*

( For more than one recipient, type addresses seperated by comma )

Your Name:*

Your E-mail ID:*

Your Comment:

Enter the letters from image :

Disclaimer

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Manorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.

Email ID:

User Name:

User Name:

News Letter News Alert
News Letter News Alert