The Karunya Benevolent health scheme aims to provide financial aid for medical care and treatment using the dividends from the Karunya and the Karunya plus weekly lotteries of the state government.
Persons with kidney ailments would get up to Rs 3 lakh as treatment aid. Meanwhile, the hemophilia patients would be included in the lifelong scheme. Medical aid up to Rs 2 lakh would be provided for patients diagnosed with the diseases that are included in the project.
Diseases that are included in the list
1. Cancer (including chemotherapy, radiation and surgery)
2. Heart surgery (including the expense of the stent)
3. Brain and liver surgery
4. Kidney, liver, heart transplant surgeries
5. Treatment for liver diseases
6. Hemophilia (lifelong coverage irrespective of income and expense)
7. Aid during recuperation
8. Serious respiratory illness
Who can apply
All BPL and APL families with an annual income below 3 lakh rupees are eligible for medical help under this program. Free treatment under this program is available at all the government hospitals across the state as well as at the Sree Chithira Thirunal Institute for Medical Science and Technology, Malabar Cancer Centre, Pariyaram Cooperative Medical College Hospital and Cochin Cancer Centre. Besides, free treatment is also available at 61 private hospitals and 28 dialysis centres that are accredited with the project. Though permission is usually granted in advance, treatment at the private accredited hospitals are permitted only with the recommendation of the district committee.
How to apply
Application form is to be submitted, along with all the required documents, to the District Lottery Officer. The deserving applicants would be recommended by the District Committee to the State Committee. If approved by the state committee, the amount would be handed over to the hospital authorities.
1. Copy of the Ration Card
2. Estimate of expenditure from the concerned hospital
3. Passport size photo of the patient
4. Photo of the patient and their family in front of their house. The house should be visible in the photograph.