Keralites have become accustomed to munching on microwave pop corns, available in various flavors, while watching a movie in a theater or roaming around swanky malls. However, it's time you knew how it could severely harm your health.
Medical experts and nutritionists warn that regular consumption of popcorn made in microwave ovens could increase the risk of diabetes and lung cancer. When the salt, oil and the masala used in it get heated up in a microwave, it forms elements which may cause even cancer.
Many ailments related to over-consumption of microwave pop corns are reported of late. The medical science terms these conditions as ‘popcorn lungs’. In a survey conducted by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, it was revealed that 8 labourers working in a popcorn making unit were diagnosed with bronchiolitis obliterans or ‘popcorn lungs’. It is assumed that they had contacted the disease from their work place. This report is in fact a warning for those who love to snack on delicious popcorn.
The presence of chemicals like perfluoroalkyls, perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) which are used to line the popcorn bags to prevent grease from soaking the bag wet make microwave popcorn highly toxic.
On heating, these chemicals get into the popcorn you eat. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) termed them ‘likely carcinogens’, which cause a host of health hazards. They can afflict your endocrine system, cause thyroid issues, bladder cancer and much more.
A study published in the journal Chemical Research in Toxicology from researchers from the University of Minnesota reveal a possible link between diacetyl, its impact on a brain protein and Alzheimer’s disease.
You can have home-made popcorn
It is easy to make healthy popcorn at our homes. Adding a dollop of butter to the organic popcorn would make it tastier still. You don’t even need a microwave. A pan or a pressure cooker works just as good, if not better.