April 22 is observed as Earth Day across the globe. While world leaders have engaged in several talks with regards to the drastic changes in the climate, it is time we do our part to save the planet.
Here are ten things that you could do to make earth a greener and better place:
1. Switch off all electrical appliances as soon as you have finished using them. Remember electricity is expensive.
2. Turn off the tap after using it to avoid wastage of water.
3. Reuse and recycle paper and plastic. If you must, use bio-degradable plastic that be disposed off easily without causing much harm to the environment.
4. Consider alternative ways to dispose organic wastes – like composts or biogas plants.
5. Try riding a bicycle or walking from one point to the other. This can help reduce air pollution. You could even consider carpooling or using public transport.
6. Plant more trees around your homes, office building etc. Trees ensure that we breathe in fresh-air and keep the surroundings cooler during the summers.
7. Harvest rain water. You may even collect water in buckets or large storage containers which could be used for multiple purposes. That way, water sources such as rivers would not be polluted by organic wastes.
8. Ensure that all vehicles undergo a timely pollution check to ensure that air and water pollution is reduced.
9. Save the forests and wetlands. Do not destroy these areas by chopping trees aimlessly. Forests and wetlands help keep the soil in tact.
10. Avoid buying too many animal products from the markets. Poaching is illegal and most often these items are sold illegally. Several animals are endangered species. We must protect them.