Exactly a year after the devastating floods of August last year, Kerala is presently struggling to cope with another monsoon of torrential rains, flash floods and land slips. Rivers have breached their banks, submerging several areas. Cleaning up homes after the flood is quite a strenuous job that requires proper planning and execution.
The presence of reptiles in flooded houses is a threat to the safety of the people. However, experts say that there is no need to panic in such situations. Here are some steps that you could follow while sanitizing your houses after the flood waters recede.
• Those who intent to return home should come a day before and keep all the doors and windows in the house open. This may prompt the snakes to leave the house.
• While entering the house, hit on the doors to make sure that snakes aren’t holding onto the doors.
• Make noise by hitting on things using a stick while entering the house.
• Keep the iron wardrobes in a slanting position to check whether any snakes are hiding in the gaps.
• Spray the floor with a repellent made by mixing 90% water and 10% kerosene. This could be used to clean the floor as well.
• Those who stay in such houses should wear slippers or other foot wear even while walking inside the house at night. Pour kerosene repellent near the entrance, wash basins, kitchen sink and the pipes in the bathrooms.
Keep away diseases
Dr. CP Vijayan (Head of the department of gynecology, Medical College, Kottayam), who has served at the various relief camps points out instructions for pregnant women who are battling severe weather and floods at homes or at relief camps.
• Seek medical assistance as soon as possible if you show signs of fever. Expectant mothers have lesser immunity power and may soon fall ill.
• Pregnant women staying at the relief camps should have their blood pressure level checked often. Seek medical advice in case of any variations.
• Pregnant women should stay away from such situations as chances of contacting rat fever or leptospirosis are more.
• Eat healthy food at regular intervals. Do not skip meals.
• Drink boiled water only.
• It is better for pregnant women residing in the flood prone areas to get admitted in the hospital even if they aren’t near their due dates.