Kochi: Popular Malayalam actor Kunchacko Boban has said that the victim in the 2017 actress attack should be allowed to return to AMMA (Association of Malayalam Movie Artists) if she wants to.
"There is no doubt that the AMMA is with the victim. However, the members of the association have no clear picture about the incident and hence AMMA is not able to take a strong stand," Kunchacko told Manorama News in an exclusive interview.
The victim actress had resigned from AMMA in June 2018, alleging that it had failed to stand by her during the crisis. Popular actor Dileep was arrested for plotting the conspiracy to abduct and assault the actress in a moving car in Kochi on February 17, 2017. The issue had sent shock waves in Mollywood.
Pointing out that the accused could be acquitted in the future, Kunchacko, who is a former AMMA executive member, says that this too adds to the uncertainty over the issue.
“AMMA can take a clear stand once the court gives a verdict in the case,” he added.
Reacting to the criticism raised against AMMA, the actor said, "Even when you do hundred good things, you would be picked for one false step."
"If the victim wishes to return to the actor's body, then the outfit should facilitate that. However, it is each person's discretion on what he or she should do," Kunchacko clarified.
The Women in Cinema Collective (WCC) has been on a warpath since the actors' body had decided to reinstate Dileep. The WCC had alleged that instead of supporting, the leadership of the AMMA had been indulging in 'victim shaming' and publicly 'mocking' at women who had chosen to speak about the matter.
Along with the victim, three actresses - Remya Nambeesan, Reema Kallingal and Geethu Mohandas - also announced their decision to quit AMMA.
The WCC was launched soon after the shocking actress assault incident to ensure gender justice and safeguard women's rights in the film world.
Read more: Latest Entertainment news