Kottayam: A toothbrush was taken out of a 40-year-old woman's stomach five days after she accidentally swallowed it while cleaning her teeth. The toothbrush, 15 cm long, was removed by the doctors of the gastroenterology department at the Medical College Hospital here through endoscopy, a nonsurgical procedure.
The woman, hailing from Mundakayam in Kottayam district, accidentally swallowed the toothbrush on January 30, and didn’t inform the family members about the incident. Later, the woman was taken to the ENT department, headed by Dr N Premalatha, of the hospital after she complained of discomfort in her throat.
Normally, when a foreign body of such length gets stuck in the stomach, it is removed by cutting it into pieces, but in this case the toothbrush was taken out in one piece considering the risk involved in the procedure, which lasted for many hours.