Piravam: Eating an apple these days can lead you to book an appointment with your doctor! Because, consuming apples that are sprayed with pesticides and toxic chemicals can lead to health problems.
Apart from wax-coating apples to add shine to the fruit, it is suspected that chemicals are also sprayed to extend their shelf life.
Though health authorities have been informed about the suspected presence of chemicals, they are yet to take action. It was reported that a local resident who ate the apple had vomiting and other physical discomfort. He said that the apple smelt of pesticide.
A shop owner at Karavatte Kurish in Piravam who bought half a kg of apple got about 40 grams of wax-like substance. He used a knife to scrape the substance from the fruit.
The apples that are yet to perish even after two days have been kept in the refrigerator. Though these substances are a leading cause of cancer, authorities are not ready to conduct inspections.