Fire guts century-old house, short circuit likely

Fire guts century-old house, short circuit likely
The Fire Force from Changanssery town battled with the fire for around 1 ½ hours to bring it under control.
SHARE

Alappuzha: An ancient house got completely gutted in a fire that broke out on Tuesday afternoon at Veliyanad in Kerala's Alappuzha district.

The fire must have been caused by an electrical short circuit, the Fire Force said.

The house, belonging to V Rajeevan, of Chennakkad family, in Ward No. 1 of Veliyanad in Alappuzha district, got burned down around 3.45 on Tuesday afternoon when the inhabitants had gone out to visit relatives at Chambakulam, a nearby village.

The century-old wooden house, which had extensive timber architecture, burned down completely. All the possessions of the family including wooden furniture, electrical appliances and dress got gutted along with the currency kept at the house and the paddy stored inside the storeroom (ara).

The local people, seeing clouds of smoke billowing from the spot, had informed the Fire & Rescue Services. The Fire Force from Changanssery town battled with the fire for around 1 ½ hours to bring it under control.

Before leaving for Chambakulam, the family had been ironing clothes with an electric iron box. It is believed the iron box was not switched off as the power supply went off abruptly while ironing. When the supply came back, a short circuit would have been caused as the iron box kept on drawing power. 

Rajeev, his wife and daughter were living in the house, while his son is working in the Navy.

MORE IN ALAPPUZHA
SHOW MORE
The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.