Man bitten by snake dies soon after receiving wrong shot at Cherthala hospital

Man bitten by snake dies soon after receiving wrong shot at Cherthala hospital
SHARE

Cherthala: In an instance of gross medical negligence, a man, who was bitten by a snake, died after he was administered medicine for gas trouble and allergy at the taluk hospital here in Alappuzha district.

C K Varendra Pai, 74, lost his life while being taken to the Alappuzha Medical College hospital for advanced treatment. It is learnt that the Taluk hospital authorities did not give an anti-venom shot to Pai despite having the requisite medicine at their disposal.

Pai was bitten by a snake near his home at Manorama Kavala in ward 29 of the Cherthala Corporation on Sunday night. Later, he was taken to the casualty wing of the taluk hospital where the duty doctor gave first aid and an injection for gastritis and allergy, and referred the patient to the Alappuzha Medical College.

The relatives of Pai, who is a bachelor, alleged that anti-venom was not prescribed by the doctor. Pai’s sister Valsalabai and her son Rajkumar said that they would lodge a complaint against the negligence on the part of the hospital authorities.

But hospital superintendent Dr Anil Kumar said that he didn’t get any complaint relating to the incident. “The hospital has anti-venom drugs and these medicines have lot of side-effects. Will check with the duty doctor why anti-venom medicines were not given to the patient,” he added.

Read more: Latest Alappuzha news

MORE IN ALAPPUZHA
SHOW MORE
The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.