Championed by wellness enthusiasts, the detox trend is really having a moment: while actors, celebrities and fitness gurus swear by it, dietitians and medical experts are still a wee bit skeptical.
As experts will be quick to tell you, the 10-minute cleanse and its “overnight result” counterparts are scientifically dubious, and some methods are far healthier than the others.
Here, Onmanorama Women puts together the best of the umpteen ‘easy tips’ out there on the Internet.
* Besides opting for a skin detox or a facial, it is crucial to take care of your skin as we embark on the winter season. Therefore, limit the use of makeup products as much as possible and opt for a clean, minimalistic look.
* Incorporate the basic regime of cleansing, toning and moisturizing in your daily skincare routine.
* Once or twice a week, use a gentle exfoliator and massage your face in a slow, circular motion to ensure good blood circulation and remove dead skin cells.
* Moisturize your skin at all times and even when you go out, do not forget to apply sunscreen.
* If possible, incorporate a night time regimen that includes Vitamin C to renew face cells and restore skin elasticity.
* Use products that have ingredients such as marine extracts, tea tree oil and mulberry extracts. They are a rich source of proteins and a powerhouse of nutrients that reverse the effects of aging.
* A good facial is of course, the perfect way to detox, restore and rejuvenate your skin whether you're tired, run-down, stressed or in need of a quick fix.
* It is rightly said, that you are what you eat; so revamp your diet and add some healthy additions such as fruits, nuts and sprouts. Drink enough water to keep the body hydrated and include fruits and vegetables that have high water content such as watermelons, cucumbers, strawberries and peaches. If possible, drink at least one glass of vegetable juice to increase the fiber intake.
* While cleansing should be a daily habit, you should prefer certain products when undertaking a skin detox: choose a soap-less and gentle formula.
* Your skin needs a deep, exfoliating clean, but be very careful to be gentle! Choose a three-in-one mask like clarifying clay that turns into a scrub to deeply cleanse and exfoliate the skin leaving the complexion fresh.
* Once a week, indulge in a home spa ritual. Choose a quiet evening and get into the mood with nice soothing music and a cup of nettle tea. Do easy home masks with thermal spring water. It guarantees continuous and prolonged contact with water with skin, thus enabling skin to enjoy the water's soothing and anti-irritating properties more rapidly and recover instant comfort and well being.
* Use cotton wool pads soaked with thermal spring water placed gently over the eyes to prevent dryness from allergies or use of contact lenses.
* Use SPF based products to protect your skin from external aggressions.
* Always remember that ‘less is more'. Your skin needing a detox means you should be using as fewer products as possible for some time. Also, prefer products with a minimum number of ingredients.