After-school chit-chats with kids often end up like a blind date for most parents: so full of awkward silences that it feels like driving a 100-tonne conversation truck up a steep road. And, more often than not, all that we elicit by asking our children, ‘So how was school today,’ is a grumpy ‘Fine’.
While we can’t always expect to be our kids’ confidantes, we do want to know how their thoughts and feels are evolving by age. After-school conversation is the fine art of bonding with the kid at the right time and avoiding certain cliched clangers. Onmanorama Women lists out a few gems that can get them talk to you.
1. What was the best game during playtime?
2. Does everyone have a friend at recess?
3. Who did you sit with at lunch?
4. Did anyone do anything silly to make you laugh?
5. Did anyone cry?
6. So how many ‘Thank You’s did you get today?
7. What did your teacher say she likes to do?
8. What was the most interesting thing your teacher said today?
9. What was the best thing you did at school?
10. Does anything scare you about going to school?