It’s humanly impossible to not fall in love with those sparkly pieces of jewelry that shine bright like a diamond. But sadly, even for the most expensive pieces, it doesn’t take very long for the luster to fade away, no matter you wear it frequently or not. Taking your jewelry in for a professional cleaning does the job, but it's a pain in the butt.
The good news is that pro-cleaning isn't necessary and it’s totally possible to restore the sparkle with common cleaning supplies most of us already have at home. Sometimes soap and water are all we need to get a dirty ring, that’s full of grime, look brand new once again. Here are a few tried and tested tips to keep your jewelry shining forever:
1. Always make sure that you keep your jewelry in a moisture-resistant container.
2. Avoid wearing these precious jewels when you go under the sun or walk in the rain as it may lose its glow in a very short time.
3. To protect your jewelry from getting tarnished, gently wipe off body oil and cosmetic creams every time you wear it.
4. Prefer soft cotton or muslin cloth to clean and polish jewelry.
5. If your skin is oily, do not wear the jewelry for a longer time as the perspiration can tarnish it.
6. To avoid corrosion or discoloring, apply an absorbent powder, without zinc oxide, on the moist skin areas. Wash your jewelry in mild soapy water or cleaning solution afterward.
7. If you want to save the new look, make sure that the jewelry doesn’t come in contact with chemicals, sea salt, alcohol, vinegar, and chlorine.
8. Do not apply perfumes, lotions, hairsprays or make-up after you've worn the jewelry as it may discolor the jewels.
9. Always remove your adornments before cleaning, bathing, swimming, gardening, and exercising.
10. Jewelry with pearls and gemstones are very delicate and hence, should be handled with extra care. When not in use, store them very carefully in an airtight pouch or a jewelry box as it can easily develop cracks.
12. If you are carrying jewelry during while traveling, make sure that it doesn’t get tangled and shredded in your bag. Toilet paper rolls are a great way to organize your jewelry. While you can put your bangles, bracelets, and watches on the roll, earring can be pinned to the sides and necklaces can be inserted into the hollow core.
Read more: Women | Living | Don’t like your post-pregnancy body? This one’s for you