Yoga consists of a set of exercises intended to increase longevity through regular practice founded on control of the senses and observance of physical and spiritual hygiene. Yoga is also an annihilator of all ailments.
Yoga practice will surely lend relief to those plagued by various diseases including lifestyle ones. Yoga also helps build character as it lends the power to control the mind. It is also ideal for improving memory and dynamism.
A disciplined life is important in yoga. Yoga can be practiced at any convenient time of the day. Yoga can be done even when pregnant. Once trained in it, it can be continued even without anyone’s assistance. It is better to seek a guru’s guidance while doing yoga in old age, while pregnant or when having various ailments. Many benefits will be derived even from simple asanas and pranayamas. Some preparations need to be made before starting yoga practice.
Points to note
1. Yoga practice should be started and ended with prayer or meditation.
2. Physical and spiritual purity is important in yoga. The location chosen for yoga practice should be clean and have sufficient air circulation.
3. Set aside a particular time in the morning or evening for practicing yoga. Early morning is the most ideal time. Do not do it in a hurry.
4. Have mental control. Do not practice yoga with a turbulent mind.
5. It is not advisable to mix yoga practices and other physical exercises.
6. Practising yoga after taking a bath is ideal. If you intend to take bath after yoga, do so after a gap of half an hour.
7. Do not practice yoga immediately after having food. Practice it only after allowing sufficient time for the food to digest fully. After yoga have food or drink only after some time has elapsed.
8. Loose cotton clothes are ideally worn during yoga.
9. Have diet control. Do not eat in excess and irregularly.
10. When doing yoga for the first time it is normal to feel some difficulties. These are signs of the purification process happening in the body. It is nothing to fear.
(The author works at Prajapathi Yoga Center, Kadavanthara, Kochi)