We do not generally eat the curry leaf that we add to food to give it its flavour and aroma. We take it out once its use is done. But how many of us are aware of the health benefits of the humble curry leaf that we discard in this manner? It has the property of preventing several diseases.
Health benefits of curry leaf
1. Including curry leaf in the daily diet is excellent for the eyes as it is a rich source of Vitamin A.
2. Curry leaf is a good medicine and helps to cure worm infection, indigestion, piles and stomach cramps. It is can be simply chewed and eaten.
3. Applying a paste made of the curry leaf heals skin diseases. A paste of curry leaf and turmeric can be applied for ringworm infection. This is also ideal for feet fissures and preventing hangnails.
4. Taking a spoon each of ground curry leaves, raw turmeric and gooseberry daily is effective for controlling Type 2 diabetes. Eating curry leaves by chewing them is also good for checking obesity.
5. Oil boiled with curry leaves can be used to ensure that your hair grows healthier by the day and for retaining its natural color.
6. Drinking buttermilk added with ground curry leaves and Bird’s eye chili reduces cholesterol.