Beijing: Typhoon Hato, the strongest to hit southern China in 53 years, left a trail of death and destruction in the region with Macau and Hong Kong bearing the brunt of the storm that has claimed at least 16 lives and injured over 150 others.
The former Portuguese enclave of Macau was still without electricity as the typhoon claimed the lives of at least eight people.
Hato, the 13th typhoon this year, landed in the city of Zhuhai in southern China's Guangdong province on Wednesday, bringing gales of up to 45 meters per second. It brought winds of up to 160 km per hour to the Pearl river and heavy rain to nearby regions, the local meteorological bureau said.
At least 150 people were injured, and residents had been struggling with a massive power failure for nearly 24 hours in Macau, South China Morning Post reported.
When the typhoon swept past the gambling hub of Macau, a wall brought down by strong winds killed a man. Another person died after falling from the 11th floor of a building, and a third after being hit by a truck, according to Macau health authorities. Two more bodies were found in a flooded car park this morning.
Chief executive of Macau Fernando Chui Sai-on said it was the strongest storm recorded in Macau in 53 years, adding that it had a severe impact across the city.
He expressed his condolences to the families of those who have died, and conveyed sympathy to those affected.
"The government is dedicating continued effort regarding coordinating the restoration of water and electricity supplies in order to ensure the Macau public can resume their normal lives as quickly as possible," Chui was quoted as saying by the report.
In Hong Kong, more than 120 were injured as the financial hub was lashed with hurricane winds and heavy rains.
The special administrative region of China suffered no fatalities even as floods inundated low-lying and coastal areas.
Ferry services between the former British colony and Macau also resumed gradually from 7 am.
On Wednesday, Hato triggered the No 10 signal the highest in Hong Kong's storm warning system for the first time since 2012, forcing the cancellation of hundreds of flights to and from the city.
In Guangdong, at least eight people were killed and one remained unaccounted for.
The government has evacuated 26,817 people to temporary shelters. About 664 hectares of farmland has been damaged.