Thiruvananthapuram: A probe conducted by state chief secretary S.M. Viajayanad has concluded that there was no merit in the allegations that the Kerala Budget 2017-18 was leaked.
Chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan confirmed the findings of the report before the Assembly on Monday.
He said there was no violation of constitutional principles vis-a-vis Budget presentation and alleged that the opposition was creating a smokescreen to hide welfare programs in the people-friendly Budget.
To this, leader of the opposition Ramesh Chennithala said the chief secretary had misguided the CM. Assembly procedures were halted for some time as the opposition members staged a protest entering the well of the House.
No loss to exchequer: Isaac
Earlier in the day, finance minister Thomas Isaac reiterated in the Assembly that the Budget had not leaked. He said the state exchequer had not suffered any loss with the note for media being publicised before Budget presentation concluded.
Congress MLA V.D. Satheesan challenged the minister's claim saying key tax proposals had been published in some newspapers even before the Budget was presented.
The Kerala Assembly had witnessed high drama on Friday during Isaac's Budget presentation as opposition UDF alleged that details of the annual financial statement were being circulated on social media.
The assistant private secretary to finance minister was removed from the post after it was found that he inadvertently passed on the highlights to some mediapersons before Budget was presented.